Sunday, March 30, 2008

Virtual School and Isolation


I excitedly shared my newfound notion of the ideal sixth grade curriculum for one of our highly gifted fifth graders with a colleague the other day. His response shocked me. I suggested that the student combine the best of two worlds; he should enroll in three gifted classes at his local middle school (gifted math, gifted science, and a gifted literature elective) and then go to the school library to work on three virtual school classes at an accelerated pace (social studies, language arts, and foreign language) for the remainder of his school day. Our district does not offer gifted classes for middle school students in social studies or language arts and sixth graders are not allowed to take foreign language classes. I thought it sounded like a perfect schedule for an exceptional student, but my colleague gasped. "Just a kid and a computer?" he said, "No eleven year old should be taking entire courses over a computer. Think of all he'd miss!"

Before you gasp, let me explain this educator's perspective. This teacher is one of those extraordinary, theatrical teachers who loves social studies and language arts. His lessons are spellbinding. He is a time traveler who brings historical characters to life each day in his classroom. Costumes, props, and accented oratory are routine in his classroom. From his view, young adolescents need face-to-face interactions with their teachers and peers. He doesn't believe a virtual teacher or a virtual classroom could meet the needs of young adolescents in a comparable manner. And when I watch what he does, and how his students respond, I know, on some level, he's right. But teachers like him are rare.

Still, my lengthly conversations with my virtual school sixth grade language arts teacher tell me that she too is extraordinary. I doubt she uses costumes or accented oratory, but her props are incredibly cool. She uses Elluminate to connect with children on many levels . She is planning a virtual Shakespeare festival and online collaborative lessons with a middle school in London. Her passion for teaching is just as special.

I'm interested to hear what others think. Please post. In the meantime, I'm searching for research on this topic. There are a lot of articles on the pros and cons of distance education for older students, but I don't see much on fifth and sixth grade students.... yet. Let me know if you've found anything.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I have forgotten what it's like to be 11. I'm trying to think how I might have performed with that schedule.

I gave a presentation recently in a F2F class and it didn't go so well. I have to prepare and rehearse a lot, whereas others seem to do a better job of winging it. This left me thinking how students in virtual schools can practice skills like that (giving presentations). Certainly there is technology to support making a video presentation, but it's not the same as having a real audience staring at you.

Regarding the age of students, I just haven't been around younger students in a long time so I'm not sure. Intriguing questions...

Wendy DG said...

From my observations of a virtual U.S. History teacher, I believe that it's possible to be just as engaging and captivating online as it is in a classroom. Over the years, I've had so many discussions with people about whether one medium of instruction is better than another. My answer is always the same. It's one of the few things in life for which I am certain. Design, Design, Design!!!! It's not the medium. It's the design coupled with the charisma, talent, and ability of the teacher, whether face-to-face or online.

Wendy DG said...

By the way, I think your idea combines the best of both worlds. You are taking the unique needs of the student into consideration. That solution might not work for other children. But, it sounds like a thoughtful option for this one. Good luck.

J-Lang said...

Your post left me conflicted. I have been all into this whole virtual school scene and have perhaps forgotten to maintain proper objectivity. After reading your post, it reminded me of great teachers I had in the past, who made something come alive with the way they spoke, their gestures, quirks and expressions. I then began to think whether the learning that took place in those classrooms would have been nearly as meaningful online. And, honestly, that's tough to answer. All I can say is that they would be different. In talking with my host teacher, like you I have found her to be very engaging and obviously someone who does well to serve and inspire her students, but still the question lingers, how much more engaging would this person be IN person. I don't know, perhaps the ability for more students to have their needs met by the virtual school outweighs what they might miss outside of traditional classrooms. I mean, is it worth it to have a student miss out what could be a better overall learning experience in the virtual school, just to have one or two really life-altering teachers in a traditional school? Tough question. Excellent work.

-Justin

Unknown said...

Speaking of a passion for teaching, here's a great example of how to use the virtual classroom to engage even the youngest students.
(http://www.elluminate.com/sales/casestudies/ebus.jsp)

Raven Sundahl of EBUS Academy uses "Wacky Wednesday" sessions for 45 students in K-7. The older kids really enjoy games, like "Wacky Wheel of Fortune."

Here also is a session recording from a webinar where Alison Hancox of Argyll Centre uses live eLearning to help students create e-portfolios. (http://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/event/description?instance_id=10587)

I'd say the students in these classes felt anything but isolated!

- Beth, Elluminate Goddess of Communication.