Friday, April 4, 2008

Elluminate Live! A Critical Feature

As I complete the final four weeks of my internship with our local virtual school, I will continue to focus my observations on the methods distance educators use to meet the individual needs of learners. I want to understand all the ways virtual educators differentiate curriculum and instruction to help all children learn and achieve, especially those with special needs. I chose this area of focus because I teach gifted students in a full time, face-to-face magnet program. I want to know if virtual school courses provide gifted students with a viable alternative to gifted face-to-face classes, and if virtual schools provide them with options not available in brick and mortar classrooms. I am also very interested to learn how virtual teachers modify the pace and curriculum to meet the needs of struggling learners.

My virtual teacher loves Elluminate. It's a tool that helps her differentiate instruction when necessary and to give her students opportunities for synchronous learning. In her article "Harnessing the Virtual Classroom," Ruth Clovin Clark describes Elluminate as a synchronous e-learning environment that supports "the projection of still, animated, and video images; instructor-participant audio; sharing of desk-top applications; and interactions using instant polling, chat, and whiteboard marking tools" (Clark, R., 2005). My teacher uses these Elluminate features with all of her students quite regularly, and more frequently with students who seek or need extra attention.

My two experiences with Elluminate so far have been memorable, and I know I haven't seen all it can do yet. I felt surprised when my teacher presented video images (PowerPoint slides, drawings on the whiteboard, or sections of text) while she was talking to me over the telephone. She could see where I was placing my cursor and where I clicked on the screen. She could even see my face as I watched the screen through the video camera on my computer. I've never experienced anything like that before. Elluminate is far more fascinating than iChat or Skype because it has so many additional features.

Even though Clark's article described how Elluminate was used in a corporate training environment, her conclusions and recommendations certainly seem relevant to K-12 virtual education. Clark says the key creating effective virtual learning environments is to maintain student engagement; Elluminate does this quite well. She recommends that virtual teachers maintain a lively pace, visualize their content (avoiding "a wall of words"), incorporate frequent participant responses, and to use small group breakout rooms (Clark, R., 2005).

From what I've learned, it seems clear that Elluminate is a key component of my teacher's virtual classroom and an effective tool for differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all learners.

Clark, R. C. (2005). Harnessing the Virtual Classroom. T+D. 59(11).

4 comments:

Mark said...

Interesting points on maintaining student engagement, maintaining a lively pace, visualizing content, incorporating frequent participant responses, and using small group breakout rooms.

I agree that Elluminate is an important tool for helping to differentiate instruction. I thought about the utility of having a tool like that when I took the course on designing/developing online classes, but I wasn't familiar with Elluminate until this semester. It makes me wonder what 'advancements' we might expect in years to come. For example, I wonder about the potential of mobile telephony in education. People write about the use of cell phones and texting in language learning, but I just don't know where that is going yet. Elluminate just reminds me of the development of technology because that kind of tool was only an idea not too many years ago (like anything else I suppose). :)

Wendy DG said...

The teacher with whom I am working uses Elluminate as a study-group tool. The white board is used to collect input from all participants and to conduct real-time interactive lessons. I observed this process, and the students loved it. Participation in these sessions is voluntary, but it definitely provides individual attention for those who take advantage of it.

Unknown said...

Hi Jeanne,

Thanks for such great comments about Ellumminate. We appreciate it!

You may be interested in some of the stories we have on our site about how instructors are using Elluminate for students at all levels, indcluding those with special needs and who are gifted.

Just visit http://www.elluminate.com/case_studies.jsp.

Here also is a follow-up article in THE Journal about the online debate program at NYC District 75 (http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22175)and one about a gifted student in the UK who goes online to augment his science studies.

Keep on Elluminating!

- Beth, Elluminate Goddess of Communication.

Unknown said...

OOps! Forgot the article link:

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/home/1.24180