Friday, April 18, 2008

The Ends of the Bell Curve

I spoke with my virtual school teacher about her special education students. Her comment surprised me, but on reflection make perfect sense. She said approximately 30% of her 200 students have learning disabilities, some mild, some significant. Another 10-20% are academically advanced, probably gifted. We discussed how this group, about half of her students, lie at either end of the bell curve. They are the kids who don't fit well into traditional schools. They are the kids who fall between the cracks and sometimes under the bus.

My virtual teacher told me the story of a middle school girl who was retained twice before she entered virtual school. My teacher took the time to understand her problems, anxiety and the need for extra time, and find solutions. The child quickly went from being an academic failure, to a success story. She became an honor student and went on to college. Her story was published in a local newspaper and it was picked up the the Associated Press. This child, once a special diploma candidate, graduated with a regular diploma with honors.

Virtual school serves a need in our society. I'm sure there are many other success stories like this.

2 comments:

Wendy DG said...

Jeanne,

What a great story! That's really what teaching is all about. The teacher I've been observing continually points out the one-on-one relationship with the students and how much she enjoys working with all of them. There is certainly a focus on the students that is refreshing. I agree with you. The virtual school is definitely filling a need.

Wendy

Mark said...

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I wonder if there are special education students out there that sought out virtual courses only to find that their special strengths and needs were not sufficiently addressed?

I agree that virtual schooling serves a need. I'm convinced that many face to face environments are failing students, and virtual schooling can help some of them to succeed.

Thanks for sharing that story.