Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Local Virtual School Grabs Attention


The front page of our county's most popular newspaper highlighted the success of our local virtual school yesterday and my community is reacting. This afternoon three parents of my fifth grade gifted students waited outside my classroom after school to talk to me about it. Another called me during my drive home. The newspaper article grabbed their attention and gave instant credibility to this educational option for their soon to be middle school students. They wanted to know what I thought, yet ironically had no idea I am observing the same virtual school as part of a graduate course. I didn't reveal my internship, but I explained a personal perspective that evolved through my internship: virtual school would be an excellent full-time or part-time option for their gifted children next year.

Each of the parents spent hours online today exploring the program. The parents were stunned by the list of course options and simplicity of the program. They couldn't believe it's free. All were especially excited by the foreign language options and the opportunities for their children to work at advanced levels in mathematics, reading, and science.

For confidentiality reasons, I am unable to quote or cite the article in this blog. I can say that the article explained that virtual school classes are excellent choices for thousands of students whose regular schools don't offer advanced or unusual courses, or for students who want to work faster or slower than the students at their local schools. It explained that our virtual school offers more than 90 online courses for middle and high school students and serves over 54,000 students. Next year it expects to serve over 80,000 students.

Since the focus of my blog is how virtual schools meet the needs of special students, I was especially interested to read statements from students that said their virtual school teachers give them more attention than they got in regular school. These students reported that they are able to call their virtual teachers as late as 9PM or as early as 6AM with questions or concerns. One said she was recently given an extra week to work on material that was extra challenging, something she was never allowed to do in traditional school. Clearly, this program meets the needs of these special students. I feel confident they can also meet the needs of mine.

2 comments:

Wendy DG said...

Jeanne,

I saw that article, too. How timely! I'm always amazed when I talk to friends about the internship. In most cases, they are completely unaware of virtual school as an option. It was refreshing to see that you have parents asking you about it and that you offer your support.

Wendy

Mark said...

Students getting more attention in an online course and having the opportunity to have extra time to complete a challenging assignment--these benefits sound especially important for special students.

I think that virtual schooling and educational technology are putting new pressure on face to face schools to change old models of instruction that have persisted for years. I believe some virtual courses are more part of the technology age with many face to face classes lagging in the industrial age. I wonder how strong this effect will be?